Saturday, July 30, 2011

How to Read a Book

Last night in a dream I found myself in a bookshop. Two women there first showed me that in opening a book one should embrace it with warmth as a friend and longtime companion, never the brisk detachment of a random acquaintance never to be seen again. Then they allowed the words of the book to flood into me, reading words that may have been read a million times over as if they were new, original, fresh, and inviting. It was if my closest friend and I were embarking on yet another journey together and although we may have been on others before, perhaps even this very one, there was an anticipation and excitement that I could not avoid being caught up in. I smiled to myself and thought "yes, this is how to read a book".

No comments:

Post a Comment