Friday, March 1, 2013

The Healthy Writers Club: Week 1

So this week I decided to take charge of things again. I've kinda been putting this off for a while using all sorts of excuses but in the wise words of Rafiki, "It is time".

Ever since I was little exercise has been a BIG challenge for me - well, healthy living in general - but that's for another time and place. When I saw this group started by my friend, the amazingly awesome and talented Shallee McArthur, I figured it was just the motivation I needed. The basic premise is that writers tend to be pretty sedentary, but through sharing our exercising successes and failures each week we can help to encourage each other to get up and be a little more active and healthy.

So my Week 1 Report: I really wanted to put in at least 20 minutes each day this week of moderate, focused exercise. That really didn't quite happen. I think my challenge will be to find a time earlier in the day because evenings just got too crazy. I did improve over my normal routine as of late though (doesn't take much when said routine is pretty much non-existent!) I got in my 20 minutes twice and in general made more of an effort to get up and move. I figure it gives me room for improvement!

My ultimate goal is to start working on training for a half-marathon. I'd also really love to do some hiking with the kids this summer!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made an effort to exercise. It's sad for me to see so many of my fellow writers NOT exercising. Exercise for me is a part of me day, and it is not something I put off. I'm a VERY BUSY WRITER. However, I stick to my exercise routine, because I know how important it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Because of my lack of it in the past I know how important it is - but I still have a hard time making it a habit!

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to train for a half-marathon, too! Er, sort of. I've been doing a lot of indoor exercise because of weather, but I can't wait to get running again! Welcome to the club. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto here for the weather. Thankfully it's starting to warm up but I'm looking forward to spring!

      Delete